Filed under: WR Special Report
Picard vs. The Klingons
Like some of you Anglican web-folks out there, I was once a Trekkie (yes, way back before boob-boo babies got uppity over that honourable term). Once, I could name an old-Trek episode within 5 seconds; I had all the plastic models; I read the books and played the board-games and knew most of the trivia. Hard-core nerdy goodness.
But Trek isn’t life– not only in terms of getting a life, but in terms of reflecting life as it is or should be. The Federation weenies are all nice enough: until you realize they came from a U.N One World military earth-dictatorship in which human nature has been repealed, and all social ills and war and Really Bad Stuff has somehow been outlawed, or something. Supernature is squashed into heaven on earth: the eschaton is immanentized.
Another But: there’s all sorts of other folks out there: Klingons, Romulans, Gorn, Vulcans, whomever, who don’t fit the homogenized pattern. And the most interesting moments and characters in the old TV show are those that break the utopian mold imagined by Mr. Roddenberry. Reality shatters the pretty-plastic Fediverse.
A theoretical universe [like the Federation mindset] that can’t account for other races replete with the glory and misery of being fallen non-utopians– well, it’s is a pretty sad little universe.
Ask yourself: who would you rather think you might successfully evangelize: a full-blooded messiah-hoping chest-beating Klingon, or some flatlander Federation-weenie dreaming of spreading utopia everywhere? [Can you imagine? Klingon Evangelists?] The Feds think they already have the only Gospel anybody could ever want; everybody else is wrestling with reality as she are experienced.
Back To Reality
So horror breaks in upon a university community, and our fallen nature grabs the headlines once more. Christians long for heavenly peace, but here below we have a cross, and duties, and evil to redeem and to overcome with good, amidst the shortness and uncertainty of human life. Deliver us from evil, O Father.
As Solzhenitsyn says, the line between good and evil runs right through the middle of every heart. Each day, we have choices and graces to receive or refuse, salvation to work out. “There but for the grace of God…”
Sadly, the mere utopians among us cannot fathom this, nor the redemption of it. In the words of the prophetical T.S. Eliot, they are busy “dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good“.. and end up puzzled, or in denial. Their universe isn’t big enough for the intrusion of rude reality.
What is senseless is not that a crazy person could chose to do evil (happens rather regularly), but that some Christian leaders along with the chattering classes don’t seem to understand that evil exists, and that the authentic Christian church has a uniquely theological voice and incomparably saving message for such a time as this.
Christ did not set us free with naivete, wishful thinking, secular puzzlement, or psychobabble. He overcame evil with good. Cross and broken tomb, type thing: the ultimate reality-therapy.
Lord have mercy upon us,
Virginia Tech student Raksha Vasutevha,a fifth-year architecture student, joins friends in a candlelight vigil for fallen students in downtown Blacksburg, Va., near the campus of Virginia Tech. (AP Photo/Don Petersen)
– RANCID PABLUM ALERT– World Council of Churches: ‘We are all Virginians …’ … (wdbj7)
- GET RELIGION: “Waiting for the ‘why’ shoe to drop” … (gr)
BLACKSBURG, Va. (CNS) — The April 16 shooting spree at Virginia Tech that left at least 32 people dead is “tremendously sad,” said Bishop Francis X. DiLorenzo of Richmond (freerep)
– EPISCOPAL Campus ministry reaches out in response to campus shooting … (episcopalchurch)
– DEADLIEST school shooting in modern U.S. history? Virginia Tech citizen reporting. The Va. Tech Gunman Identified as University Student. The list of victims. More here. The Virginia Tech Killer… Seung Hui Cho Lived In the Dorm … (Various)
– THE USUAL SUSPECTS– US churches call for gun control following university shootings. More here on that topic. Because as we all know, guns cause evil, suicidal nihilism, and/or psychological illness. Er.. making sure that criminals can have illegal guns, and law abiding citizens don’t have legal guns and proper training is the solution to tragedies like this. Extreme gun-controlling Canadian laws didn’t prevent the shootings in Montreal schools, y’all. Personally speaking, had I a firearm (.45) and proper training and opportunity, said young man would have to go through this elf to get to any more young people, were he not deterrable in any other fashion … (Various)
– KATHY SHAIDLE– “Obligatory Virginia Tech post”… (Various)
– WHAT TO DO IN MASS SHOOTINGS.. some stuff via InstaPundit. Remember: you may be the one who has to save your own life, or that of others. Be prepared … (instapundit)
– SCRIPTORIUM: “Academics are a Family and Our Family is Hurting”… (scriptoriumdaily.com)
Things are going to slide, slide in all directions
Won’t be nothing
Nothing you can measure anymore
The blizzard, the blizzard of the world
has crossed the threshold
and it has overturned
the order of the soul
~ Leonard Cohen, The Future ~
– FROM NRO: Misplaced Anger– Blame the killer, not the school’s administrators and police; “The Search for Good News”; “Why schools? Why so often schools?”; “We need to rethink campus security” … (NRO)
– CHRISTIANITY TODAY– “Peace in a World of Massacre: What Jesus calls us to when we’re most frightened” … (ct)
– ONE COSMOS: “How do we measure what happened yesterday? What have we done with our scale? I don’t pretend to know exactly what motivated the mass murderer, but I think it is safe to say that he felt victimized by someone or something, and therefore entitled to lash out — as indeed all victims feel entitled to do. I can only say that there will be more absurd lashing out if we continue our inexorable slide into nihilism, the only alternative to theism” … (onecosmos.blog)
– AN UPDATE on the Virginia Tech murders- Collegiate Times newspaper … (collegemedia)
– MOHLER: Facing the Reality of Evil … (wapo)
– NT WRIGHT: God With Us, Grieving … (wapo)
– ORTHODIXIE: “To the Virgin for Virginia (and us all)” … (southern-orthodoxy.blog)
– POWERLINE: Politicizing Tragedy– “At the Forum, a heated discussion of the Virginia Tech murders is underway” … (powerlineblog)
– PROTEIN WISDOM: “Gun Control Control” … (proteinwisdom)
– A DISARMED Campus: “Until yesterday, Virginia Tech was a gun-free zone” … (spectator.org)
– A FORMER Virginia Tech student remembers Professor Librescu over in Phi Beta Cons … (NROTC)
– A DEADLY BLUEPRINT? The Killer at Virginia Tech – and “The Fourth State of Matter” … (pajamasmedia)
– VIA GLEDHILL: What did you do? ‘I prayed.’ … (timescolumns)
– ONE PASTOR’S take on Virginia Tech – Dealing with tragedy … (t19)
– KILLER’S Note: ‘You Caused Me to Do This’ … (t-19)
– SCRAPPLEFACE: “Pelosi, Reid Call for Arming All College Students” … (scrappleface)
9 Comments so far
Leave a comment