Filed under: Anglican Crisis
Various Devils In The Details
Kate Schori can be forgiven feeling ‘Lost Weekend’ groggy, and wondering how she got taped and painted into a corner– at least on paper. Perhaps hoping for a bureaucratic dodge, or a liberal dream-team (whither Wonder-Hutchison?), instead she’s been graciously received into the Primate’s team that will be holding ECUSA to account.
And she signed off on it all.
Could make it awkward to be the le grand fromage of an organization suing everybody in sight all the way down to the church mice in Virginia and elsewhere– when that would be a violation of the spirit and letter of the Covenant & all that Mrs. Schori just agreed to.
Down, Not Out
Mind you, if the Primatial Vicar is a Carnley or Eames or some other water-it-down and delay-minded sort, then the Anglican Communion will quickly be back on the doomed list. Follow-through is everything.
Interesting to read the Covenant and Communique (and the Schedule) and note that the Primates are envisioning more of an early-churchy model of church government, with Canturbury as Primus Inter Pares, but the College of Primates working together to try and give some law and order to the Communion. It looks like the Anglican Consultative Council and other bureaucratic inventions of the ECUSA-dominated 1980s and 90s (hey there, Kearon!) aren’t given their former prominence, either.
Now, it may just be a tantrum for the masses (or ‘their’ PeeBee), but Integrity (so gracelessly crowing after GenCon06) is not amused. Quoth Susie Russell:
Primates Choose Bigotry Over Baptized: “Let us pray it doesn’t take another hundred years for yet-unborn primates to gather for a service of repentance for what the church has done to its gay and lesbian members today, as they repented in Zanzibar yesterday for what it did to those the church failed to embrace as full members of the Body of Christ.”
Hard To Say
However the Tanzania moment actually works out (potentially more powerfully than Lambeth 1998), it’s a sharp reversal for the revolutionaries, who’ve been working from the Little Red Book of Chairman Louie for breaking the church for several decades.
Perhaps this can be a moment of humility and sympathy for the progressives towards Anglican conservatives, as they get a taste of what it’s like to be sideswiped. Or, it can be yet another moment of politicking, vicious commentary, and group self-pity.
As we said, it may all paper-tiger on us, and our latter state will be worse than before. But so be it, the Primates have agreed together.
Thanks to everyone who has battled onwards to this point; God alone knows the cost. May His will be done.
CaNN News Editor
– LENT & BEYOND— Primates Meeting Wrap Up #1 — what are you thankful for? … (lent)
– SAITH THE BINKY— For What It May Be Worth; see our older co-written commentary in light of paragraph #5 of the Covenant… (webelf)
– OFFICIALLY SPEAKING: Archbishop’s comments at the final press conference in Tanzania … (archbishopofcanterbury)
– POULD: “Why the Communique and Recommendations are really groundbreaking” … (peter-ould)
– ENS RELUCTANTLY REPORTS (and not with 6 stories and 20 photos, you’ll notice): “Primates endorse pastoral council, primatial vicar in closing communiqué. Presiding Bishop comments on actions; further reflection to follow.” +KJS Comments on the Communique … (episcopalchurch)
– INTEGRITY IS NOT HAPPY: Primates Choose Bigotry Over Baptized– Susan Russell: “Let us pray it doesn’t take another hundred years for yet-unborn primates to gather for a service of repentance for what the church has done to its gay and lesbian members today, as they repented in Zanzibar yesterday for what it did to those the church failed to embrace as full members of the Body of Christ.” Official link; Observations From The Primates’ Meeting In Tanzania by the Rev. Caroline Hall, Integrity’s Director of Anglican Communion Affairs … (integrityusa)
– DENOUEMENT— “The Primates Meeting communique is out and there’s some encouragement here. Selections follow” … (mcj.blog)
– GET RELIGION: “The “official,” “authorized” word from Tanzania” … (getreligion)
– AND YOU SIGNED OFF ON IT, ANDY— “Archbishop Hutchison says church must look ‘seriously’ at primates’ request” … (anglicanjournal)
– PETER TOON— The Primates address Episcopalians (Anglicans) & The Episcopal Church (February 19, 2007, Tanzania); Anglican Covenant (Proposed) and The Anglican Formularies. An expression of gratitude and also concern from Dr Peter Toon … (pbs1928.blog)
– DEADLINE: “Here’s the Telegraph’s take on the Anglican situation” … (mcj.blog)
– MAGIC STATISTICS: “Anglican Church of Canada still has a chance to do the right thing” … (magicstatistics)
– THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY: “Susan Russell and her friends are REALLY not down with the Dar es Salaam communique” … (mcj.blog)
– MATT KENNEDY— The Dar Communique: Hope and a Future … (standfirminfaith)
– EAT THE WEAK and disobedient! New Westminster Task force releases draft “Parish Ministry Assessment Process” … (vancouver.anglican.ca)
– TONY CLAVIER: The Primates Speak … (wvparson.blog)
– PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW— Hugo believes in divorce. Elf Girl: “I guess that means his divorces were pleasant happy affairs and he wishes we all would know the joy of divorce? Unreal” … (hugoschwyzer)
– ANDREW GERNS, the good the bad the rest … (andrewplus.blog)
– HMMM: “It is, frankly, inconceivable that TEC will sign up to these. They have charted a clear path in the opposite direction. Plus, it would make the position of Gene Robinson untenable – he falls under both of the proscriptions.” Primates Recommendations now Online … (peter-ould)
– AMY WELBORN on Tanzania … (amywelborn)
– YOU’RE NOT THE BOSS OF US! “WiggleRoom” Naughton — we can bless ‘just’ not ‘authorize’ … (edow.org)
– VIA AACBLOG— Wash. Post: Anglican Leaders Warn U.S. Church on Gay Unions, Bishops; Anglicans seek a middle way. More Reactions to the Primates’ Communique. TLC: Overtime Required for Primates to Agree on Communiqué Wording … (aacblog, usatoday)
– DOULD ON The Communiqué … (whitehorseinn)
– THINKING ANGLICANS— primates meeting: some further reports. InclusiveChurch press release. primates meeting: some blog responses. primates meeting: responses from groups. primates meeting: first reports on outcome… (thinkinganglicans)
– ANDREW+.. The Good, The Bad and The Rest … (andrewplus.blog)
– ANGLICAN SCOTIST: Just Say No … (standfirminfaith)
– SOUTH CAROLINA: Standing Committee asks other dioceses to reconsider withholding consent to Lawrence … (episcopalchurch)
– THE BEEB: Gay ultimatum for Anglicans in US … (bbc)
– THE GUARDIAN: Canterbury gets tough on liberals to save the church … (babybluecafe)
– ANGLICAN Communion Network expresses Gratitude for the Primates Work … (acn-us.org)
– CHRISTIAN POST: “Anglican leaders demanded Monday that the U.S. Episcopal Church unequivocally bar official prayers for gay couples and the consecration of more gay bishops to undo the damage that North Americans have caused the Anglican family” … (christianpost)
– NY TIMES: Anglicans Rebuke U.S. Branch on Same-Sex Unions … (aacblog)
– KENDALL’S Blogs synchronized and links to a few key posts from yesterday … (titusonenine)
– LEANDER HARDING: The Holy Spirit Brings Things To Light … (leanderharding)
– +EPTING BLOGS on Primates meeting … (ecubishop)
– BY THE POWER OF CLIQUE! The Fear of Being Viewed as Insufficiently Progressive, By Richard John Neuhaus … (firstthings)
– MOHLER: Sex is a Gift That Comes with Rules … (newsweek)
– HRH KATHARINE Jefferts Schori: unapologetic feminist and pro-gay liberal … (telegraph)
– AMERICAN Presbyterians get tough? … (reformedpastor)
– CURT JESTER— Brokeback Cathedral: Homoerotic art featured at auction held Saturday at Our Lady of the Angels Cathedral to benefit AIDS clinics in Mexico; and UK news “Just a crew of sickly, yet hopeful sinners” … (curtjester)
– MARK D. TOOLEY— Hanoi Lifted Me: The Religious Left draws inspiration from oppressive, Communist Vietnam… (frontpagemag)
– THE BORG’S contribution to “On Faith’s” discussion about relgious views of sex. He says sex can be sacramental … (washingtonpost)
– ALL SHALL SUBMIT! Councillor Accused of “Heterosexism” for Suggesting Family-Sized Homes … (transfigurations.blog)
3 Comments so far
Leave a comment