Filed under: Anglican Crisis
For What It May Be Worth
From the snow-pasted wastes of Canada, it’s hard to know what to make of the news coming out of Tanzania thusfar, but since fools jump in and all that, we’ll take a stab (with some notes from Someone Who Knows™). So much for that news-defying Ring of Steel though, huh?
In the evolving polity of Anglicanism 1998-2007, the Lambeth Conferences and Primates are taking on the ultimate authority. After all, the 2005 Windsor Report recognised Lambeth ’98 [1:10] as “gospel” and the sub-group report in Tanzania today acknowledges that Primates are the ones who decide exactly what the Communion demands of a Province (in that they added to the Windsor Report’s requirements of TEC at Dromantine, right?). Have we lost you yet?
The alternative is further division and disintegration, and ever more shaming and ecumenical embarassment as Anglican liberals do what seems right in their own eyes, and do unpleasant things to those representing classical Anglican Christianity who are under their thumb.
Onwards and upwards– therefore, the real decisions and answers our of Tanzania will be found NOT in some sub-group report, NEITHER in the meanderings of a compromised Kearon, NOR in what someone speculates about in a press conference before the meeting closes. Rather – the college of Primates are the ones who must decide. It isn’t perfect, but it’s what we’ve got.
After all, in many ways and at many times the Global South have already said that TheEpiscopalChurch et al. have broken every bond and boundary, and that won’t suddenly have changed tonight.
Ta-a-ake It To The Lord In Prayer
So: it very much appears that the cards are all still on the table – and in the end, the only real table that counts is the one that the Holy Eucharist will be celebrated on. Until that point we don’t know the outcome: as usual it is the cross where all the action will take place.
Let’s keep on praying, keep on celebrating right-belief and right-living in our midst, remembering that Jesus is Lord and King; and remember all his faithful servants, many from provinces where people die every day for confessing Christ. Break bread for them and with them, in the unity of the Holy Spirit. Pray for those like Peter Akinola and the North American leaders who are shouldering this burden— under strain and attack– and seeking to do the Lord’s Will in such fractious times.
Canon David Anderson reminds us of what’s at stake:
“The primates are expected to make a decision on TEC’s status in the Communion, and on the requests by U.S. orthodox for alternative primatial oversight, before their meeting ends Monday, Feb. 19” and “Now is the time to act; we have waited too long to address the problems in the U.S. province – as the Communion Sub-Group’s report itself admits – and if the primates do not respond decisively now, it will deal a severe – perhaps fatal – blow to Anglicanism in North America and world-wide”.
Lord have mercy upon us,
(A cooperative effort)
– STANDFIRM THURSDAY: Today’s Guests: Matt, Sarah, Greg and David … (standfirminfaith)
– GLEDHILL— TEC ‘regret’ ok, says Gang of Four: “..the unity of the Anglican Communion is once more ‘hanging by a thread.’ Schism looms again. Phew, what a relief”… (timescolumns)
– LENT & BEYOND— you got to pray … (lb)
– LIVING CHURCH— On Day 1, Spotlight on The Episcopal Church. Presiding Bishop Attends Primates’ Orientation Session; Cordial Day of Listening Marks Opening Sessions in Tanzania; AGENDA in Tanzania for the Day… (livingchurch, sf)
– PETRE: “Another bloody day in Paradise” … (telegraph)
– GET RELIGION: “Tanzania or bust” … (getreligion)
– MUSCLE— “It looks as if the Global South primates are already shaping events in Dar es Salaam” … (mcj.blog)
– POST-GAY Testimony #5 … (peter-ould)
– VOL: Actions of New Westminster and The Episcopal Church Dominate Agenda … (standfirminfaith)
– WHITEWASH? — Breaking: Report of the Communion Sub-Group (on TEC’s response to the WR) … (standfirminfaith)
– A MUST-READ From Jordan Hylden at First Things: Anglican Storm Clouds … (firstthings)
– TANZANIA Will Reveal True Anglican ‘Communion’– All eyes are on Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania this week, as the worldwide Anglican Communion comes together for a summit which could see the Communion splinter amid the continuing row over homosexuality in the Church … (transfigurations.blog)
– ALBERT MOHLER: “The Clash of Convictions” … (albertmohler)
– DAR2007: Crossing boundaries is the new doctrinal absolute, By Canon Gary L’Hommedieu in Dar es Salaam … (aacblog)
– ENS SPIN-CYCLE— Primates convene; Windsor response leads agenda; In Tanzania, Episcopal Church missionaries, Presiding Bishop share perspectives. Dialogue precedes opening of Primates’ Meeting near Dar es Salaam… (episcopalchurch)
– PAUL FEHELEY: “Anglican Primates begin meeting in Dar es Salaam”… (anglican.ca)
– THE LOUIEITES are in the hizzle: Observations From The Primates’ Meeting In Tanzania | by the Rev. Caroline Hall, Integrity’s Director of Anglican Communion Affairs … (integrityusa)
– CARING, SHARING: [ENS] In Tanzania, Episcopal Church missionaries, Presiding Bishop share perspectives … (titusonenine)
– JUST THE FACTS, MA’AM— Statistics of the Anglican Communion … (anglican-mainstream)
– BRAD DRELL— A Brief Word From +Bruce MacPherson In Tanzania … (standfirminfaith)
– WORD FROM ENGLAND— The Rt Rev Michael Scott-Joynt, Bishop of Winchester, said a schism could be avoided if the US Episcopal Church is prepared to listen to its critics … (dailymail)
– GUARDIAN: “Williams faces fresh effort to stop Anglican split over gay clergy” … (guardian)
– WHITEHALL BLOGGER: “what’s wrong with sentamu?” … (anglicancatholic.blog)
– THINKSOME ANGLICANS— primates meeting: Thursday morning … (thinkinganglicans)
– HARMONICS: The Episcopal Church has Failed to Respond Adequately to the Calls of Windsor … (transfigurations.blog)
– BLOGCRITICS: The Anglican Showdown … (blogcritics)
– ON SCHORI: “An interesting contribution about the train wreck that is Anglicanism” … (Bearblog)
– LENT IS JUST ROUND THE CORNER. BE PREPARED & PRAY WITH THE PRIMATES– QUINQUAGESIMA: The next Sunday before Lent (February 18, 2007) … (pbs1928.blog)
– ACC-APCK Unity: “Talk about the possibility that a second Anglican province might emerge in the United States has been generating some discussion at the ACC Members List over on Yahoo” … (anglicancontinuum.blog)
– CARIOCA: “So what do we know so far?” … (cariocaconfessions.blog)
– INCLUSIVE CHURCH blog report … (inclusivechurch.blog)
– AN COMMENT: “As the primates stated, if TEC proceeded with consecrating Robinson, the very fabric of the communion would be torn at its deepest level. The tear has taken place; TEC did the tearing. There is one way to begin the process of the repair process (the Windsor Report), but TEC has shown no felt need to do anything but make a pretense of acting responsibly.” A response to this… (t19backup.blog)
– THE EVER-TIRESOME Dromantine Meddler is at it again in Tanzania, Kevin Kallsen reports … (ctsix.org)
– AGE TO COME: “Pray for the Anglicans” … (theagetocome)
Archbishop Phillip Aspinall of the Anglican Church of Australia
addresses a news conference at the Anglican Communion
primates summit in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, February 15, 2007.
Other Anglican News
– PAGING THAT ECUSA & CO. feel-good tour: “Jailed Iranian Teacher & Reformist Dies While on Hunger Strike.” Mebbe you can check with Mohammed Khatami about how this could happen in such a nice country … (ens, gateway)
– ZENIT— Relating to the Opposite Sex: Interview With Author of “Men and Women Are From Eden” … (zenit)
– VIA DRELL: “What The Real Problem Is With Our PB’s Theology” … (descant)
– AMAZON QUEEN Bonnie Anderson Criticizes San Joaquin’s Strategy … (livingchurch)
– HOLY SITE: Move Afoot To Renovate Gay Landmark … (davidmorrison)
– FRANCE: Religious Leaders Sign Joint Statement Defending Traditional Marriage … (lifesite)
– MARK SHEA— Persecuted Millionaire Narcissists Agree: It is not Enough to Tolerate! You *must* believe and confess that Homosexuality is the Source and Summit of all That is Noble, True, Good and Beautiful! .. and “Gay Blackshorts on the March!” … (markshea.blog)
– ANGLICAN CENTRIST— Southern Baptist Takeover of Anglican Communion? … (anglicancentrist.blog)
– A BAPTIDST GUY: Gay Conversion Not Biblical, Says Former Homosexual … (christianpost)
– A PROGRESSIVISTICAL— Valentines Day Note to PB Schori: A Scriptural Case for Gay Unions … (anglicanscotist.blog)
– ANGLICAN VICAR: “I turn to you readers. Am I a radical conservative?” … (liberalnashotan.blog)
– STILL STRUGGLING WITH SAME-SEX ATTRACTION by Mike Ensley. “Leaving the gay lifestyle is not easy. But Christians who have struggled with same-sex attraction are not without hope” … (boundless)
– GUIDING PRINCIPLES of the cultural left– Linda Kimball: Cultural Marxism … (descant)
– ALL2COMMON blogger is pimpin’ some swag: take a look… (all2common)
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment